picture header

picture header

Monday, September 1, 2014

Intro

It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
      I am the captain of my soul.

This is part of the poem "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley, which is one of my favorite poems.  It basically says that no matter what happens, how bleak or impossible the situation we face, we are always in control.  I am the master of my fate.  I am the captain of my soul.  That is the mindset which I use to get through whatever situation I am faced with.  It is up to us to decide to be happy or sad,  to feel optimistic or hopeless.  Don't let anyone try to control who you are, simply be you and that's all that should matter.

As for my pen name, it is just that-a pen name.  It has nothing to do with who I am in any way really, its just a name I chose.  That way I can write not as me but as Austin Thomas.  I guess you can say it doesn't matter who I am in reality, I am Austin Thomas here, and that way their aren't any pre-assumed notions about me and what I am "supposed" to think and say.  


No comments:

Post a Comment